Wednesday, May 14, 2014

D-Blog Week - Day 3

May is Mental Health Month so now seems like a great time to explore the emotional side of living with, or caring for someone with, diabetes. What things can make dealing with diabetes an emotional issue for you and / or your loved one, and how do you cope? (Thanks go out to Scott of Strangely Diabetic for coordinating this topic.)


A break-
I know when I'm at work and I need a break,  I can get up, walk out. regroup, come back in and pick back up refreshed.
Diabetes doesn't take a break... Yes sometimes I get a break from d care. but my son.. NEVER... He will never get a break from the wonky numbers that brings highs and lows or from the constant carb counting, ratios, finger pricks and needles....
and
That is what gets me down.... 

when I start thinking about it all ..I can.. I DO.. drive myself insane and almost immediately bring myself to tears..

Control-
What control? and the next person that asks me if his diabetes is under control.  I will give you a snarky response.. because.. never are things the same so never will there be control..
I unfortunately do try and control what I can. So yep I micromanage all d care.. Which makes my whole family mad because not consciously I tell my family how to do things my way and well, there way might be just as good but the crazy always have to have control mom in me wont hear them out.
and
That is what gets me down....

Being a mom I need control I want control and to have diabetes in our life has taught me so much about learning to roll with it.. deal with it in the moment. Don't dwell on the crazy numbers or the whys.  and repeatedly tell myself this one high is not going to cause damage or this one low wont be the one to cause a seizure.. why.. because we caught it we caught that number and are fixing it accordingly..

why-
I still ask why.. and I know someday that will be answered.. someday.. one day.. he will do something amazing.. be someone amazing.. and d will be in the background.. yet he can say.. I did this.. I accomplished this or that even with diabetes...

No comments: